Monday 3 March 2014 is national offer day for school places - what should you do if you don’t get your choice of school for your child? Here are some useful and top tips:
- Don’t panic if you did not get your first choice of school – help is at hand!
- Consider accepting the offer of the school you have been given as this will ensure that your child has a school to go to and it will not prejudice your right to appeal
- Familiarise yourself with the over subscription criteria of the school that you want to appeal to
- Place your child’s name on the waiting list of your choice of school
- Consider the grounds upon which you want to appeal. Ensure your reasons are as strong as they can be, putting emphasis on the strongest argument first
- Ensure you collate as much supporting evidence as you can to substantiate your appeal
- Medical and Social Reasons which have arisen since the original application must be supported by evidence (e.g. doctor’s letter)
- Submit your appeal form on time
- Look at the School Admission and School Admission Appeals Codes on the Department for Education website
- Preparation for the hearing is key, taking your time to decide on what you will say to the Panel
For further advice and assistance, please contact Anita Chopra at Match Solicitors – we are here to help.